GiveWell UK is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) and the official UK partner of GiveWell, a US 501(c)(3) organization that identifies outstanding giving opportunities by conducting in-depth research to determine how effectively given programs can save and improve lives per dollar spent. GiveWell UK is dedicated to helping donors in the United Kingdom find and support these outstanding giving opportunities through tax deductible donations.
Table of Contents
Donating to GiveWell UK
You can make a donation to any of the following options via credit card, PayPal, or a Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) account:
- Top Charities Fund (We updated the name of this fund in September 2022; more information here.)
- GiveWell's operations
- All Grants Fund
- Against Malaria Foundation
- Helen Keller International's vitamin A supplementation program
- New Incentives
- Malaria Consortium's seasonal malaria chemoprevention program
- Email: UKdonations@givewell.org
- Mailing address:
c/o Bates Wells
10 Queen Street Place
London EC4R 1BE
- Luke Ding. Luke is a former finance professional having held a number of senior management positions at NatWest and Merrill Lynch, and a senior partner role at fund management firm Brevan Howard. He now engages full time with his philanthropic activities in parallel with ongoing business interests. He is a keen supporter of many organisations associated with Effective Altruism and has sponsored national deworming programmes in Burundi and Madagascar. He is also a board member of Founders Pledge.
- Elie Hassenfeld. Elie is the Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of GiveWell. He previously worked in the hedge fund industry, which he left to co-found GiveWell in 2007. He also serves on the Board of Managers of Open Philanthropy, LLC. He enjoys taking up (and mostly failing at) new athletic pursuits and spending time with his wife and young children.
- David House. David is a software engineer and senior manager in the financial services industry. He has been a supporter of the Effective Altruism movement for more than a decade. In his spare time David is a keen runner and totally besotted by his two cats!
CAF charges GiveWell UK a fee of 3.6% of your total donation (including Gift Aid) for one-time donations, and 2% of your gross donation (capped at £5 per donation) for recurring donations.
You can also make a donation via wire transfer directly to GiveWell UK by filling out this form and sending a wire to the account listed on the confirmation page and email. We do not charge fees for donations made by wire transfer. To maximize the impact of your gift to GiveWell UK, we suggest using CAF for donations of £1,000 or less and using a wire transfer for larger amounts.
We are not able to accept physical cheques, stocks, or securities at this time.
GiveWell UK is a UK Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) with registered charity number #1196392. Eligible UK taxpayers are able to take tax deductions for donations to GiveWell UK to the extent permitted by UK tax laws. GiveWell UK can claim Gift Aid for eligible donations. Please note that donations to GiveWell UK are irrevocable and donor requests to grant donations to our recommended charities are subject to our approval (more details on GiveWell UK's approval process here).
If you have other questions about donating, you can see answers to frequently asked questions about GiveWell UK here.