Last updated: May 2013
GiveWell's top-rated charity from July 2009 - November 2011 was VillageReach. Over this period, donors directed more than $2 million to VillageReach as a result of our research.
Below is a collection of our content on this organization.
- Official GiveWell review of VillageReach: in-depth discussion of VillageReach's evidence for effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and funding needs
- Updates on VillageReach's progress
- Collection of all GiveWell Blog posts on VillageReach - includes:
- 2009 overview of the organization's strengths and weaknesses
- Discussion of VillageReach's answer to the question, "What will be the impact of further donations on your operations?"
- Health System Strengthening + Sustainability + Accountability: we argue that VillageReach represents a unique combination of (a) high potential to have large, transformative effects (b) solid short-term evidence of effectiveness.
- After "Extraordinary and Unorthodox" comes the Valley of Death: discussion of why VillageReach's current funding opportunity has been passed over by major funders.
- Your Dollars at Work: Update on Top-Rated Charity VillageReach
- VillageReach update (March 2012), published with:
- Guest post from John Beale at VillageReach
- Pilot project re-analysis (context for this in the above post)
- Notes and pictures from February 2010 site visit to VillageReach in Mozambique
- Notes and pictures from October 2010 site visit to VillageReach in Malawi
- Investigation of alternative hypotheses for vaccination coverage increases during VillageReach’s pilot project