Position: Vice President (VP) of Marketing
Compensation: GiveWell offers a competitive benefits package benchmarked to the San Francisco Bay Area where we are based. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Location: Oakland, CA
Timeline: We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
Visas: Please note that for this position we're currently not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the U.S.
GiveWell's goal is to identify the giving opportunities which can most cost-effectively improve the lives of the global poor.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.GiveWell.org.
We think our top charities accomplish a huge amount of good. The charities we recommend work in the area of global health and development and serve some of the poorest people in the world.
Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR, and many others.
Collectively, GiveWell's donors are some of the largest private donors in international aid. In 2017 (the most recent year for which complete data is available), donors gave a combined $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. We also directed an additional $17 million in Incubation Grants to support work to strengthen our recommendations in the future.
GiveWell is expanding our team so we can broaden the scope of our research and look for charities that might have even more impact per dollar donated than our current top charities. By joining GiveWell, you will have the opportunity to influence and contribute to our approach and success in directing millions of dollars in funding to highly impactful charities.
The outreach team
GiveWell's outreach team engages with current donors and works to acquire new donors to increase the amount of money we direct to our recommended charities. At our recommendation, donors directed $117 million to these charities in 2017. We roughly estimate that, in expectation, these funds prevented 19,000 deaths, dewormed 50 million children, and gave cash to 8,300 poor households.
Over the next few years, GiveWell will invest in our outreach team to significantly increase the amount of money that we direct to our recommended charities. We expect to roughly double the staff we have working on this team as we grow. We’re looking for capable marketers, fundraisers, and communicators to help expand GiveWell’s influence.
As VP of Marketing, you will be responsible for overseeing the entire marketing organization and will report to the Executive Director. Your initial priority will be to define GiveWell’s marketing strategy with the objective of significantly increasing the amount of money directed to GiveWell’s recommended charities annually.
GiveWell has experienced strong organic growth, and we have high expectations for future growth with investment and marketing leadership. We’re looking for a candidate who has built and grown a revenue (or donations) focused team. Ideally, a team that contains different verticals that perform successfully.
- You will design our long-term strategy to increase the money we direct to our top charities. We expect you to develop, own, and lead the execution of a marketing strategy that achieves our long-term goals.
- You will lead our current team. We presently have seven people who work on marketing, broadly defined. All of them will report to you (directly or indirectly).
- You will be responsible for continuing to meet GiveWell’s short-term marketing goals while working on our longer-term strategy. Our short-term goals include the following: building content that appeals to our donor base, building strong relationships with donors who have the capacity to give substantially, and improving our technology.
- You will build a team to support our long-term goals. We expect that our ideal team will be significantly larger and more capable than our current team. You will be responsible for building this team by identifying our core needs, recruiting additional talent, and structuring our team to achieve our goals.
- You will lead positioning and branding to develop a vision and language for the brand’s mission, for external communication and internal culture building.
- You will identify new market opportunities and generate metrics and success indicators across different marketing channels.
- You will communicate goals, design and execute business plans, and interact effectively across all levels of a highly entrepreneurial organization.
Ideally, you have all of the following characteristics. Many excellent candidates will have some (but not all) of the characteristics below, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not have all of the below.
To be successful, we expect that:
- You have deep consumer marketing experience, including several years in a senior position for a leading and/or fast growing company and a track record of strong performance developing and executing effective integrated marketing plans that produce results.
- You have experience developing a marketing strategy and then building a team to deliver against that strategy.
- You have experience across multiple domains within growth and marketing. We expect you to have significant experience across at least three of the following domains: customer acquisition and retention, content marketing, digital marketing, positioning/branding, PR/media, and nonprofit fundraising.
- You value honesty and transparency. GiveWell has a strong work culture committed to honesty and transparency about our shortcomings and strengths, as well as those of our recommended charities.
- You are passionate about helping the global poor. GiveWell is currently focused on programs that help people in low- and low-to-middle-income countries. You should be passionate about maximizing the resources we can direct to help the people in these countries.
Other highly desirable skills, experience, or characteristics:
- You have exceptional growth marketing skills, including previous success managing metrics-driven customer acquisition marketing programs and user growth efforts targeted at a wide range of audiences. You’re able to build the infrastructure to generate data where data infrastructure does not exist.
- You are entrepreneurial and would call yourself scrappy.
- You are analytical and guided by data.
Please email email@example.com. Include your resume and a few sentences about why you’re interested in the position.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
GiveWell accommodates flexible and remote working. We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another. Our preference is for staff to work from Oakland, but working remotely (including internationally) is also possible.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.