This position is intended for applicants interested in a 2019 summer job who are completing their degrees in 2020 and are open to the possibility of full-time employment in the summer/fall of 2020 (i.e. juniors in college or anyone with a year remaining in graduate school). Applicants interested in more immediate employment should see other positions on our jobs page.
Position: Summer Research Analyst
Dates of employment: Summer 2019. We prefer individuals who can work with us for 12 weeks, though we are open to periods as short as 8 weeks. The exact dates are flexible.
Compensation: Summer Research Analysts are paid at a rate of $65,000 annually, prorated to the length of their internship.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
A Summer Research Analyst's duties would mostly consist of:
- Researching charitable interventions, including analyzing academic research and developing cost-effectiveness estimates
- Reviewing research produced by other staff members for accuracy and clarity
- Taking part in discussions of which giving opportunities are most promising and of general GiveWell strategy
- Miscellaneous duties depending on individual preferences, including operations, outreach, and writing
There are no required qualifications for candidates, but this role will best fit people who:
- Are passionate about finding great giving opportunities and making the world a better place
- Value intense discussion and debate
- Have strong critical thinking skills, and approach all claims (including their managers') with skepticism
- Are comfortable with open-ended questions, where no clear precedents or guidelines exist
- Are open to learning a variety of new skills, from quantitative analysis to public speaking
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to email@example.com.
We will consider sponsoring applications for work authorization for exceptional candidates.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Background on GiveWell
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have twenty-five full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.