Last updated: January 2018
Position: Research Analyst, Outreach Focus
Seniority: Two or more years of relevant work experience required
Salary: Variable with experience
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
A Research Analyst, Outreach Focus will be GiveWell's primary point of contact with the community of donors who rely on our research. A core part of GiveWell's mission is sharing our work so that individuals can make informed giving decisions. This blog post explains some of the principles behind GiveWell's outreach work.
Research Analysts, Outreach Focus work closely with GiveWell's research team. They will need to have a strong understanding of the details of our research so they can communicate effectively with donors and others who rely on GiveWell's work, such as researchers, the media, or potential donors. The position is largely focused on one-on-one conversations with the individuals who use our research; it is not focused on marketing to a broad audience.
Research Analysts, Outreach Focus will aim to become responsible for:
- Conducting phone calls and meetings with new donors to GiveWell's top charities to understand how they found and use GiveWell, answer any questions they have, and to determine what GiveWell can do to serve them better.
- Conducting phone calls and meetings with repeat donors to update them on new research.
- Implementing feedback received from outreach work to improve GiveWell; for example, noticing common questions or misconceptions about GiveWell and working to clarify that information on our website, or learning of new giving opportunities and sharing them with the research team.
- Pitching and writing blog posts describing GiveWell's research and values (examples here and here).
- Representing GiveWell at events, giving talks, and conducting Q&A sessions.
- Conducting media interviews about GiveWell.
- Networking on behalf of GiveWell.
- Analyzing data to inform donor relations strategy and plans.
- Other research or outreach projects.
Research Analysts, Outreach Focus should have a strong interest in following the details of GiveWell's work on an ongoing basis and understanding the organization's processes and plans, and should be excited to engage with individuals interested in GiveWell's research.
Two years of relevant work experience are required for this position. Please detail your relevant work experience in your cover letter.
In addition, we believe this role will best fit people who:
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoy meeting new people and speaking with them
- Love to learn, particularly by engaging with new research
- Are passionate about finding great giving opportunities and making the world a better place
- Value intense discussion and debate
- Have strong critical thinking skills, and approach all claims (including their managers') with skepticism
- Are comfortable with open-ended questions, where no clear precedents or guidelines exist
- Are open to learning a variety of new skills, from quantitative analysis to public speaking
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please also send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position. GiveWell's office is in San Francisco; this job may be done from the office or remotely.
- We will consider sponsoring applications for work authorization for exceptional candidates.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked more than $100 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), the Hewlett Foundation (a current funder of GiveWell) and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have nineteen full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.