Position: Research Analyst
Seniority: Entry-level or higher
Salary: $65,000 for entry-level, variable with experience
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
Research Analysts work on all parts of our research process. Research Analysts' responsibilities mostly consist of:
- Researching charitable interventions, including analyzing academic research and developing cost-effectiveness estimates
- Evaluating charities, including assessing internal monitoring & evaluation and representing GiveWell in discussions with charity staff
- Reviewing research produced by other staff members for accuracy and clarity
- Miscellaneous duties depending on individual preferences and abilities, including communicating with donors and media, writing, and original analysis on research questions
Qualifications and characteristics
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in economics, mathematics, statistics or other quantitative field or equivalent experience. Exceptions may be made for outstanding applicants who do not meet this criterion.
- Passionate about finding great giving opportunities and making the world a better place
- Value intense discussion and debate
- Strong critical thinking skills; able to approach all claims (including their managers') with skepticism
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Comfortable with open-ended questions, where no clear precedents or guidelines exist
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to email@example.com.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position. GiveWell's office is in San Francisco; this job may be done from the office or remotely.
- We will consider sponsoring applications for work authorization for exceptional candidates.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR, and many others .
We have thirty-three full-time employees and are located in Oakland.
GiveWell accommodates flexible and remote working. We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another. Our preference is for staff to work from Oakland, but working remotely (including internationally) is also possible.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.