Position: Project Manager
Salary: Our salaries are competitive with peer organizations like private foundations, academic institutions/think tanks, and the World Bank. We adjust the salaries of remote employees using a tier system. Our pay for this role:
- Tier 1 (San Francisco Bay Area or New York City): $98,000
- Tier 2 (all other US locations): $90,600
Benefits: GiveWell provides health, vision, and dental insurance for staff and their families. Read more about the benefits we offer here.
Location: You will be joining a hybrid team that works remotely throughout the US. GiveWell has an office in Oakland, California that we welcome, but do not require, you to work from. Part of our staff also works from a coworking space in New York City. As a general rule, we are only able to hire Project Managers who are based in the US.
Flexibility: We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, working remotely, and working from the office when you choose. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another.
Visa: Please note that for this position, we're currently not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the US.
Timeline: We're reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
As a Project Manager at GiveWell, you will play a crucial role in our growing Operations team. We're seeking a proactive, resourceful individual who thrives on challenge and learning, with or without a background in project management.
Your primary responsibility will be to manage, coordinate, and execute a diverse range of projects and tasks across various domains within the team, such as HR, finance, and tech. Reporting directly to one of our Operations Associates, your key responsibilities will include:
- Project ownership: You will coordinate a variety of projects, from building and running staff surveys to implementing recruitment strategies. We value individuals who can adapt to new challenges and take ownership of their work, regardless of the project at hand.
- Process improvement: You will have the chance to find areas where we can do better and take the initiative to make changes. While system expertise is a plus, what we value most is your drive to constantly look for ways to improve.
- Team support: You will help keep our team connected and focused, providing support in various ways, from scheduling to note-taking. We're looking for team players who are ready and willing to help out where needed.
- Information coordination: You will assist in organizing and sharing knowledge effectively. While experience in data management can be beneficial, the main quality we seek is your ability to keep things tidy and make information easy to find.
At GiveWell, we focus on results and offer ample growth opportunities for individuals who demonstrate excellence in their roles. As we continue to expand our Operations team, you may have the chance to specialize in a specific area within operations and advance within that track. We also provide a budget for professional development and training to support your career growth.
If you're a solution-driven individual who can manage projects effectively, adapt quickly, and contribute to a team, we would love to hear from you.
Note: Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. Here’s a secret: there's no such thing as a "perfect" candidate. GiveWell is looking for exceptional people who want to make a positive impact through their work and help create an organization where everyone can thrive. So whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this role would make you excited to come to work every day.
We expect you possess the below skills and characteristics and are eager to continue honing your abilities across these areas. We encourage you to apply if you would use the majority of these characteristics to describe yourself:
- You have strong project management skills and take ownership of your work. You can independently carry out projects from concept to implementation, keeping the big picture in mind while completing detailed tasks. You see yourself as responsible for results. You proactively seek to troubleshoot problems and identify improvements based on good judgment and discretion rather than simply executing on a checklist.
- You’re highly productive and excel at juggling a wide variety of competing tasks. You’re great at knocking out a high volume of work. You’re very motivated to complete tasks and projects, and good at identifying the quickest path to completing a project well. You’re comfortable juggling a wide set of tasks and projects while still ensuring that things get done (or proactively checking to make tradeoffs when needed). You can switch between many different projects during the day and still move things forward quickly.
- You enjoy and excel at connecting with people. You’re excited to help staff and provide great customer service even in challenging situations. People enjoy interacting with you, and you enjoy interacting with people.
- You’re mission-motivated and service-oriented. You want to contribute to GiveWell’s most pressing needs and are oriented to getting things done, even when it’s not glamorous. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed. You structure your work to make it easy for others to engage with.
- You’re conscientious and attentive to details. You are thoughtful about your approach and perform high-quality work, with or without supervision. Not much escapes your attention, including the fine print. You exhibit meticulous attention to detail and don’t cut corners. (This doesn’t mean you never make mistakes, but you learn from them and rarely repeat one.)
- You’re a strong communicator. You are proactive about communicating, receptive to feedback, and willing to provide feedback. You take the time to communicate what you believe and why. You communicate productively in both oral and written exchanges and can convey detailed information to a variety of audiences who may be unfamiliar with the subject matter. You are responsive, professional, and unflappable.
- You’re good-humored and drawn to growing organizations. GiveWell maintains a small Operations team. This means we expect a lot from each individual. You enjoy digging in to get things done and want to contribute to a general positive attitude. You are comfortable working with changing processes and priorities.
Apply here: https://www.tfaforms.com/5064806. We only accept applications through our website.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
GiveWell is motivated by the simple question: how can we do as much good as possible?
In our efforts to answer this question, we search for and recommend outstanding philanthropic giving opportunities. We currently focus on global health and poverty alleviation programs in the lowest-income parts of the world because that is where we've found we can have the greatest impact, according to our criteria.
Our primary impact is achieved by directing funding to our recommended charities. We rigorously vet and recommend a short list of top charities that meet our criteria of being evidence-backed, cost-effective, transparent, and in need of more funding. Our four current top charities work on life-saving programs, including malaria chemoprevention, antimalarial nets, vaccine incentivization, and vitamin A supplementation.
We also direct funding to high impact opportunities outside of our top charities that are consistent with our mission to maximize global well-being.
Based on our recommendations, donors have given more than $1 billion to our recommended programs since our founding in 2007. In 2021 alone, we directed more than $525 million.
Our Operations team supports critical organizational functions and is integral to the success of our mission to direct hundreds of millions of dollars to the best giving opportunities we can find.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to making employment decisions based on merit and value. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. We desire to maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, citizenship, physical or mental disability, marital status, familial status, ethnicity, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, age, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.