Position: Outreach Associate
Seniority: Entry-level or higher
Salary: $55,000 for entry-level, variable with experience
Location: San Francisco, CA
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
An Outreach Associate will be GiveWell's primary point of contact with the community of donors who rely on our research.
Outreach Associates will need to have a strong understanding of the details of our research so that they can communicate effectively with donors. For that reason, Outreach Associates' responsibilities will initially be similar to those of Research Analysts, and as they gain more experience and understanding they will focus more on representing us to donors.
Outreach Associates will aim to become responsible for:
- Conducting phone calls and meetings with new donors to GiveWell's top charities to understand how they found and use GiveWell, to answer any questions they have, and to determine what, if anything, GiveWell could do to serve these donors better.
- Conducting phone calls and meetings with repeat donors to update them on new research and answer any questions that they have.
- Answering written questions from donors that we receive via email or our blog.
- Representing GiveWell at events, giving talks, and conducting Q&A sessions.
- Networking on behalf of GiveWell.
When Outreach Associates first join GiveWell, they will train by undertaking the same initial responsibilities as Research Analysts, which consist of:
- Summarizing conversations GiveWell staff conduct with external parties (e.g., charities, funders, subject-matter experts)
- Reviewing research produced by other staff members for accuracy and clarity
- Taking part in discussions of which giving opportunities are most promising and of general GiveWell strategy
- Miscellaneous duties depending on individual preferences
There are no required qualifications for candidates, but this role will best fit people who:
- Have strong interpersonal skills
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoy meeting new people and speaking with them
- Are passionate about finding great giving opportunities and making the world a better place
- Value intense discussion and debate
- Have strong critical thinking skills, and approach all claims (including their managers') with skepticism
- Are comfortable with open-ended questions, where no clear precedents or guidelines exist
- Are open to learning a variety of new skills, from quantitative analysis to public speaking
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position in San Francisco, where GiveWell is based. This is an office-based job that can partly be done remotely.
- We first ask candidates to work for us (with compensation) on a trial basis before we make a full-time offer. In general, this period will last around three months, though we are flexible regarding the terms (e.g., spreading the equivalent number of hours over a longer period of time, telecommuting). There may be exceptional cases where we are willing to forgo the trial period.
- We will consider sponsoring applications for work authorization for exceptional candidates.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have twenty-two full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.