Position: Operations Associate
Compensation: GiveWell offers a competitive benefits package benchmarked to the San Francisco Bay Area where we are based. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Location: Oakland, CA. This role requires a regular presence in the office.
Timeline: We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis
Visas: Please note that for this position we're currently not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the U.S.
GiveWell's goal is to identify the giving opportunities which can most cost-effectively improve the lives of the global poor.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.GiveWell.org.
We think our top charities accomplish a huge amount of good. The charities we recommend work in the area of global health and development and serve some of the poorest people in the world.
Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR, and many others.
Collectively, GiveWell's donors are some of the largest private donors in international aid. In 2018 (the most recent year for which complete data is available), donors gave a combined $140.9 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. We also directed an additional $15 million in Incubation Grants to support work to strengthen our recommendations in the future.
GiveWell is expanding our team so we can broaden the scope of our research and look for charities that might have even more impact per dollar donated than our current top charities. By joining GiveWell, you will have the opportunity to influence and contribute to our approach and success in directing millions of dollars in funding to highly impactful charities.
Operations at GiveWell
GiveWell’s operations team is responsible for finance and budgeting, donations processing, HR, office management, legal, IT, and employee engagement and development.
As part of the operations team, you will help us build an organization that supports GiveWell’s growth objectives, provides a welcoming and productive working environment, and functions effectively, efficiently, and resiliently. Over the next few years, GiveWell plans to roughly double its staff size. Excellent operations are crucial to support that expansion and the operations team itself will expand to sustain our organizational growth.
As part of our team you will help to develop, codify, and scale our processes and systems across the operations domains. You will work closely with all operations staff and provide critical support to GiveWell’s growing outreach and research teams.
As an Operations Associate you will be responsible for a wide range of activities based on evolving organizational needs and personal skills and experience. You will report to the Director of Operations and support her directly in addition to developing a core portfolio of your own. Specific duties will be determined based on the individual hired, but may include the following types of activities:
- Improving process and policy: GiveWell is in the process of developing new and maturing existing policies and processes. You may research, analyze, and propose new policy approaches and roll out revisions to staff. For example, you might research a new plan for managing international employees or propose a new banking platform based on your analysis.
- Developing staff resources: Past employees have often made do with ad hoc or individual solutions to operations challenges. You will help identify critical staff resources that are absent or insufficient and potential scalable solutions. For example, you might create an employee intranet or deploy an organization-wide video & telecommunications system.
- Facilitating employee engagement and development: GiveWell is designing a lifecycle approach to managing staff from recruitment through offboarding. You may revamp certain onboarding and offboarding protocols or help design and manage an employee recognition and appreciation program.
- Soliciting feedback: GiveWell practices a strong feedback culture. You may be responsible for revising feedback systems; soliciting, collating, and analyzing staff feedback; or proposing organizational responses to staff feedback.
- Coordinating meetings: Maintaining agendas, meeting minutes, and action lists to ensure information is properly disseminated and recorded and follow-on actions are progressing on pace.
- Administrative tasks: You will support the Director of Operations on a variety of tasks including internal program audits, open enrollment, analyzing and renewing policies, etc.
We seek an outstanding generalist who is passionate about building a great organization, willing to dig in to produce the best possible outcome, and comfortable with a fluid role. We realize no one person is likely to embody all of the below characteristics, but we expect many of them align with your current abilities and you are eager to grow and develop your capabilities across these areas. You could see yourself growing this into a more senior role.
To be successful, we expect you are:
- Mission-motivated. You want to contribute to GiveWell’s most pressing needs and are oriented around getting things done, even when it’s not glamorous. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed.
- A strong communicator. You are proactive about communicating and receptive to feedback and willing to provide feedback. You communicate productively in both oral and written exchanges and have the ability to synthesize large amounts of information into clear and digestible written documents.
- Perceptive and attentive to details. You are thoughtful about your approach and not much escapes your attention, including the fine print. (This doesn’t mean you never make mistakes, but you learn from them, and rarely repeat one).
- Excited by working at a growing, agile organization. GiveWell maintains a small operations team. This means that we expect a lot from each individual, and we often ask people to contribute outside their core areas of experience. Do you like trying and learning new things? We are potentially a great fit.
Other highly desirable skills, experience, or characteristics:
- Ownership of work product. You keep an eye on the fundamental goal of a project and use your judgment and discretion to implement your work rather than simply executing a task list provided to you. You see yourself as responsible for your results.
- Task prioritization and organization. You are able to usefully prioritize and organize a diverse array of responsibilities.
- Collaborative. You are comfortable working with other people to deliver a shared product. You share input with and seek input from others constructively. You practice and help GiveWell be a place that is inclusive and open-minded in its work.
- Project management. You can successfully manage a project from beginning to end, including the big picture and the minor details. You are a creative and resourceful problem solver who can push ideas from concept to implementation.
- Systems-thinking. You enjoy designing processes and systems that can improve effectiveness and efficiency in a growing organization.
- Change management and uncertainty. You are flexible and able to adapt to changing circumstances. You are reasonably comfortable making pragmatic decisions with imperfect information.
- Industrious, reliable, and sensible. You can be counted on to exercise good judgment and to do your best on behalf of GiveWell.
- Good humor and a learning mindset. You are curious and thrive on variety. You bring a positive attitude to the table.
- Impact oriented. You are excited to be a part of something meaningful that is bigger than the organization and maximizes what can be done with financial resources directed towards improving the wellbeing of people in low- to middle-income countries.
- 3+ years experience, preferably in operations or in management consulting.
Apply here: http://www.givewell.org/about/jobs/operations-associate-application. We only accept applications through our website.
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
We have approximately thirty-five full- and part-time employees.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. Here’s a secret: there's no such thing as a "perfect" candidate. GiveWell is looking for exceptional people who want to help create a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this role would make you excited to wake up everyday.
GiveWell accommodates flexible and remote working. We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another. Our preference is for staff to work from Oakland, but working remotely (including internationally) is also possible.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.