Position: Operations Assistant
Compensation: $55,000 - $65,000
Location: Oakland, CA. This role requires a presence in the office most days.
Timeline: We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis
Visas: Please note that for this position we're currently not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the U.S.
GiveWell's goal is to identify the giving opportunities which can most cost-effectively improve the lives of the global poor.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.GiveWell.org.
We think our top charities accomplish a huge amount of good. The charities we recommend work in the area of global health and development and serve some of the poorest people in the world.
Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR, and many others.
Collectively, GiveWell's donors are some of the largest private donors in international aid. In 2017 (the most recent year for which complete data is available), donors gave a combined $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. We also directed an additional $17 million in Incubation Grants to support work to strengthen our recommendations in the future.
GiveWell is expanding our team so we can broaden the scope of our research and look for charities that might have even more impact per dollar donated than our current top charities. By joining GiveWell, you will have the opportunity to influence and contribute to our approach and success in directing millions of dollars in funding to highly impactful charities.
Operations at GiveWell
GiveWell’s operations team is responsible for finance and budgeting, donations processing, HR, office management, legal, IT, and employee engagement and development.
As part of the operations team, you will help us build an organization that supports GiveWell’s growth objectives, provides a welcoming and productive working environment, and functions effectively, efficiently, and resiliently. Over the next few years, GiveWell plans to significantly expand its staff size. Excellent operations are crucial to support that expansion and the operations team itself will expand to sustain our organizational growth.
As part of our team you will help to develop, codify, and scale our processes and systems across the operations domains. You will work closely with all operations staff and provide critical support to GiveWell’s growing outreach and research teams.
As an Operations Assistant you will be responsible for a wide range of activities based on evolving organizational needs and personal skills and experience. You will report to the Office Manager and support their projects in addition to owning your own portfolio of tasks. Specific duties will be determined based on the individual hired, but likely include the following types of activities:
- Researching, planning, and facilitating events, such as a multi-day off-site retreat, annual holiday party, quarterly team events, and semi-weekly lunches and happy hours.
- Drafting and implementing an employee recognition and feedback system.
- Deploying new tech platforms and tools such as Team Google Drive and an employee intranet.
- Supporting our transition to a new office.
- Planning and executing various office improvement projects (installing video conferencing, soundproofing conference rooms).
- Researching and proposing professional development opportunities to offer to staff.
- Crafting a comprehensive staff handbook.
- Performing a variety of administrative tasks to support day-to-day operations, including equipment purchasing, booking travel, handling guests and deliveries, assisting in onboarding new staff, troubleshooting staff and office issues, managing organization swag, and helping maintain overall office organization and cleanliness.
These are the skills and motivations we’re looking for. Many of these skills aptly describe your current strengths and you are eager to grow and develop your abilities across these areas.
To be successful, we expect you are:
- Mission-motivated. You want to contribute to GiveWell’s most pressing needs and are oriented around getting things done, even when it’s not glamorous. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed.
- A strong communicator. You are proactive about communicating, receptive to feedback, and willing to provide feedback. You communicate productively in both oral and written exchanges and can synthesize large amounts of information into clear and digestible written formats.
- Perceptive & attentive to details. You are thoughtful about your approach and not much escapes your attention, including the fine print. You keep your work organized and exhibit meticulous attention to detail. (This doesn’t mean you never make mistakes, but you learn from them, and rarely repeat one).
Other highly desirable skills, experience, or characteristics:
- Project management. You can carry out projects from start to finish, including the big picture and the minor details. You are a self starter who consistently communicates progress and outcomes.
- Initiative & good judgement. You can perform quality work, with or without supervision, using your own judgement and discretion. You see yourself as responsible for results and are able to anticipate, troubleshoot, and independently solve problems.
- Time management & organization. You are able to successfully juggle multiple projects and prioritize a wide variety of responsibilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills. You are responsive, professional, and able to engage effectively with co-workers, management, and vendors alike.
- Analytical & systems thinking. You enjoy designing and fine-tuning processes and systems that can drive efficiency in a growing organization.
- Flexible & adaptive. You are comfortable with some uncertainty and open-ended projects. You can adapt to shifting priorities and are comfortable wearing multiple hats.
- Good humor and a learning mindset. You are curious and thrive on variety. You bring a positive attitude to the table.
- Bachelor’s degree or 2+ years relevant experience.
Physical Requirements: This job requires the ability to lift and move up to 45 lbs. as well as other physical abilities required to actively participate in office management.
Apply here: http://www.givewell.org/about/jobs/operations-assistant-application. We only accept applications through our website.
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
We have approximately twenty-five full- and part-time employees.
GiveWell accommodates flexible and remote working. We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another. Our preference is for staff to work from Oakland, but working remotely (including internationally) is also possible.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.