Position: Head of Growth
Seniority: 5-10+ years of relevant experience
Location: San Francisco
The Head of Growth will be responsible for developing and executing our growth strategy and will report directly to the Executive Director.
GiveWell aims to direct as much funding as possible to exceptional charities identified by our research, which the Boston Globe has called the "gold standard for giving." Our research and recommendations are available online, for free, to anyone.
In 2017, we tracked more than $100 million in donations to our recommended charities, as a direct result of our recommendations, which will treat more than 25 million children for parasitic infections, provide preventative malaria treatment for more than 5.8 million children, deliver more than 2.5 million malaria nets, and deliver a $1,000 unconditional cash transfer to more than 5,000 of the poorest families in the world. However, our recommended charities could have successfully deployed hundreds of millions of dollars more in funding. We're looking to close that gap.
We are looking for a Head of Growth to lead our efforts to increase the amount of money GiveWell's recommended charities receive as a result of our recommendations.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about our mission, aligned with our culture of transparency, and excited about directing as much money as possible to the organizations we recommend.
The Head of Growth will lead efforts to increase the amount of donations driven by our research, reporting directly to the Executive Director.
To date, donors have largely found GiveWell independently (primarily through media mentions or Googling). We have done little proactive outreach. Our donors represent a small segment of the charitable giving population, as they are motivated primarily by evidence and impact. We think traditional fundraising approaches are unlikely to be effective with this group. As such, the Head of Growth will need to be a creative problem-solver. They will also need to be committed to marketing with integrity, honesty, and transparency, including openness about the shortcomings and drawbacks of the giving recommendations we make.
The Head of Growth will be responsible for setting a strategy to maximize our money moved by:
- Identifying, implementing, and testing a variety of growth strategies, potentially including but not limited to:
- Strategic partnerships
- Growing website traffic (e.g., paid advertising, SEO, content marketing, social, influencer)
- Public relations campaigns
- Targeted outreach to high-net-worth individuals and foundations
- Branding and marketing
- Customizing donor acquisition strategies and tactics across donors who give $100/year to $1 million/year
- Adapting and implementing best practice B2B Sales-Marketing funnel to donor acquisition (lead generation, lead nurture, lead scoring, handoff to Outreach teams)
- Building a team as needed to support our growth objectives
- Identifying and implementing intermediate metrics for growth that will help predict donations to top charities
The ideal candidate will have a combination of the following characteristics:
- Experienced (5-10+ years) in a marketing or growth-oriented role with responsibility for meeting growth targets and managing a team of reports
- Passionate about GiveWell's mission of directing as much money as possible to outstanding charities
- Excited for the challenge of starting and building our Growth team and increasing our money moved as much as possible
- Aligned with our commitment to honesty and transparency about our, and our recommended organizations', shortcomings and strengths
- Experienced making data-driven decisions
- Creative and resourceful when faced with tough problems
- Comfortable with a flexible, iterative “test and learn” approach
- Comfortable with intense discussion and debate
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position in San Francisco, where GiveWell is based. This is an office-based job that can partly be done remotely.
- We will consider sponsoring applications for work authorization for exceptional candidates.
Background on GiveWell
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have twenty-five full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.