Position: Donor Relations Assistant
Salary: Our salaries are competitive with peer organizations like private foundations, academic institutions/think tanks, and the World Bank, and are benchmarked for the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, where GiveWell is based. We adjust the salaries of remote employees based on the federal geographic location adjustment database.
Location: Oakland, California (preferred). Full-time remote work is possible. As a general rule, requests to work remotely will usually be allowed for locations that are within three hours of the Pacific Time Zone. Exceptions to the time zone rule may be made in rare circumstances.
Flexibility: We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another.
Visas: Please note that for this position, we're currently not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the U.S.
Timeline: We're reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
GiveWell is motivated by the simple question: how can we do as much good as possible?
In our efforts to answer this question, our researchers search for and recommend outstanding philanthropic giving opportunities. We focus on global health and poverty alleviation programs in the lowest-income parts of the world because that is where we've found we can have the greatest impact, according to our criteria.
Our primary impact is by directing funding to our recommended charities. We rigorously vet and recommend a short list of top charities that meet our criteria of being evidence-backed, cost-effective, transparent, and in need of more funding. Our nine current top charities implement programs that avert deaths (malaria chemoprevention, antimalarial nets, vaccine incentivization, and vitamin A supplementation) and improve lives (providing cash transfers and deworming medication).
We continuously review our giving recommendations, and this analysis is available, for free, on our website. Based on our recommendations, donors have given more than $800 million to our recommended programs since our founding in 2007. In 2020 alone, GiveWell donors contributed more than $170 million to our recommendations, which we estimate will avert between 29,000 and 48,000 deaths and provide parasitic worm treatments for over 12 million children.
We also direct funding to promising opportunities, such as projects whose impact is less directly measurable but might be even greater than that of our recommended charities.
We are expanding our team with the goal of moving more money to high-impact programs. Highly effective people on our outreach team are integral to the success of our mission to direct hundreds of millions of dollars to the best giving opportunities we can find.
About the role
As Donor Relations Assistant, you will be an important part of a collaborative team focused on increasing the amount of funds we can direct to our recommended charities. Our donor base is expanding rapidly, and we need you to help us keep pace with this tremendous growth. This is a great opportunity to join a high-impact nonprofit and, by helping us scale our donation operations and improve the donor experience, make a real difference with your career.
GiveWell's outreach team includes staff focused on marketing, development, and communications. You will report to the Director of Development and will be GiveWell’s primary point of contact for donors and potential donors who have questions about our work or about making a gift to GiveWell and our recommended charities. If you like to help and inform people, and if you derive satisfaction from stamping out obstacles, this job could be for you! You will perform a variety of tasks that directly support our topline goal of moving more money to effective programs, including drafting and sending communications, data entry, donation reporting, supporting event production, and other projects to help the development team progress toward its ambitious goals.
- Triage and respond to all inbound inquiries via email and voicemail. Inquiries vary but are often questions about our research, donation logistics, and how organizations can apply for support from GiveWell.
- Process donations and update donor records. This may include updating biographical information, managing recurring donations, processing certain types of donation, updating designation preferences, and sending gift acknowledgments to donors.
- Liaise with representatives from our recommended organizations to facilitate our quarterly grants.
- Optimize our database by scrubbing our data, thus improving our insights about donor behavior and helping us make better strategic decisions.
- Build and schedule email campaigns.
- Assist in compiling monthly reports on the development team’s progress against activity and financial goals.
- Support event production, including large research seminars and small donor salons.
- Provide administrative support to development team members, including note-taking, scheduling, and making travel arrangements.
Qualifications and characteristics
Ideally, you have all of the following characteristics. However, many excellent candidates will have some (but not all) of the characteristics below. We encourage you to apply if you would use the majority of these characteristics to describe yourself:
- You have excellent writing and communication skills.
- You are detail-oriented and precise.
- You are excellent at tracking multiple workflows at once.
- You maintain a high level of tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
Other desirable skills, experience, or characteristics:
- You have relevant fundraising experience.
- You are passionate about helping improve global health and alleviate global poverty as much as possible.
- You value honesty and transparency. GiveWell is committed to sharing openly about our shortcomings and strengths, as well as those of our recommended programs.
- You are excited to work on a growing team. GiveWell’s outreach team is small. We expect team members to be nimble and responsive to new opportunities.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. Here’s a secret: there's no such thing as a "perfect" candidate. GiveWell is looking for exceptional people who want to make a positive impact through their work and help create an organization where everyone can thrive. So whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this role would make you excited to come to work every day.
Apply here: https://www.givewell.org/about/jobs/donor-relations-assistant-application. We only accept applications through our website. You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to making employment decisions based on merit and value. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. We desire to maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, citizenship, physical or mental disability, marital status, familial status, ethnicity, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, age, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.