Position: Donor Relations Assistant
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Depends on experience
Timeline: Applications should be submitted by February 15, 2017.
We are looking for a Donor Relations Assistant to perform a variety of operational tasks for GiveWell. The Donor Relations Assistant will play an important role as the primary contact for donors who have questions about the logistics of donating to GiveWell for the support of our recommended charities and for our operating support. This person will be responsible for responding to questions from donors, some donations-related data entry, and various administrative tasks. The Donor Relations Assistant will report to the Donations Manager and primarily contribute to the donations team at GiveWell.
- Respond to all donor emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Most emails are questions about different payment methods for donations, requests for information about GiveWell or its recommended charities, or reports of issues donors may have with our website or payment forms. Most responses will involve slightly modifying template emails for each situation.
- Perform data entry for several of our payment methods.
- Provide miscellaneous administrative support for senior staff members, potentially including note-taking, scheduling, and making travel arrangements.
- Perform additional ad hoc office duties, including staffing our reception desk and maintaining the tidiness of the office.
Qualifications and characteristics
- Bachelor's degree or significant relevant experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position in San Francisco, where GiveWell is based. This is an office-based job that can partly be done remotely.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR, and many others .
We have thirty-three full-time employees and are located in Oakland.
GiveWell accommodates flexible and remote working. We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another. Our preference is for staff to work from Oakland, but working remotely (including internationally) is also possible.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.