Position: Donations Manager
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Depends on experience
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
We are looking for a Donations Manager to manage the team that is responsible for processing donations to GiveWell for the support of our recommended charities and for GiveWell's operations. This person will report to the Director of Operations and will be responsible for the intake and processing of donations totaling tens of millions of dollars each year, accurate data entry, and seamless donor communications.
- Manage GiveWell's donations processing team, including a donations assistant (focused primarily on data entry) and a donor relations assistant (focused primarily on customer support for donors).
- Ensure that data entry is accurate and prompt, the donor experience is seamless, and donor questions are promptly addressed.
- Closely collaborate with technical staff on improvements to and maintenance of technical data integrations for donations tracking, accounting, and communications.
- Recommend and implement improvements to donations processing systems and procedures to improve efficiency and accommodate a growing donor base.
- Collaborate with in-house counsel and other operations staff to ensure that donations systems comply with applicable regulations and meet the needs of operations and outreach staff.
Qualifications and characteristics
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience managing payment processing, donations processing, or similar work.
- Personnel management experience or strong interest in personnel management.
- Experience with customer service systems, Salesforce (front-end), and/or setting KPIs or similar performance metrics for payment processing or customer service teams desired. (Applicants need not have experience in all of these areas to apply.)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong critical thinking skills; able to approach all claims (including their managers') with skepticism.
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position in San Francisco, where GiveWell is based. This is an office-based job that can partly be done remotely.
- Relocation assistance may be available.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR, and many others .
We have thirty-three full-time employees and are located in Oakland.
GiveWell accommodates flexible and remote working. We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another. Our preference is for staff to work from Oakland, but working remotely (including internationally) is also possible.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.