Position: Director of Operations
Location: San Francisco, CA
Over the next 5 years, GiveWell aims to:
- significantly expand our research by evaluating new programs and supporting the development of new top charities and
- significantly increase the amount of funding we direct to our recommendations.
Excellent operations are crucial to achieving these goals. We built our operations team over the past 18 months, and we're looking for a Director of Operations to lead our current team and build it for the future.
At a high level:
- You will lead our team, taking responsibility for all areas of business operations.
- You will improve our operations by hiring additional staff and improving existing systems and processes.
We are looking for a Director of Operations to lead our operations team. GiveWell's operations team is responsible for all finance and budget, HR, legal, and IT functions at GiveWell.
You will own the following areas:
- Finance and budget: you will lead the effort to maintain an up-to-date, accurate assessment of our financial health and review and improve processes for fiscal security. You will manage our Controller who aims to improve our systems for projecting revenues and costs and our system for financial controls.
- Legal: you will manage outside counsel and take the lead on evaluating all legal questions.
- Human resources: you will improve and maintain our onboarding process for new staff, supervise staff responsible for making our onboarding experience welcoming and thorough, answer ongoing questions from staff, and solicit feedback about the organization as a whole. You will aim to improve our HR systems generally, including our approach to performance reviews.
- Office management: you will supervise staff who ensure that daily office management activities run smoothly.
- You will also handle a variety of other areas essential to the smooth functioning of the organization, including supervising our work on legal considerations, our IT, our relationships with outside vendors, and other miscellaneous activities.
- At least 4 (and ideally 8+) years of work experience
- Demonstrated ability as a strong operator: the ability to simultaneously manage many disparate responsibilities and do so effectively
- Excellent personnel management skills
- Passion for the work GiveWell does
- Interest in/ability to work in a fast-paced, startup environment
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position in San Francisco, where GiveWell is based. This is an office-based job that can partly be done remotely.
- We will consider sponsoring applications for work authorization for exceptional candidates.
Background on GiveWell
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2017, GiveWell tracked $117.5 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have twenty-five full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.