Where we looked
All of the below was examined in January 2011.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
How much did the organization raise and how much did it spend?
|Feb 3, 2010||$6 million1|
|Feb 12, 2010||$11 million2|
|May 10, 2010||$14.5 million3|
|July 9, 2010||$39.9 million4|
|Dec 3, 2010||$43.1 million5|
- UMCOR spent $11.5 million as of July 9, 2010. 6
- UMCOR spent $3.6 million as of December 3, 2010.7
How specific is the organization about how it spent its funds?
UMCOR provides a few examples of expenses for specific projects funded.8
Also, UMCOR's 1-year report provides examples of its activities,9 but does not appear to provide a comprehensive report on UMCOR's work.
Non-disaster relief activities
The annual report provides examples of activities in the countries and categories in which UMCOR works. Numbers of people helped by specific activities are provided in the examples.10 The report states that these examples are "highlights." This is the most detailed source of information about UMCOR activities that we found.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy. Haiti earthquake fund raising, one year later. http://philanthropy.com/article/Haiti-Earthquake-Fund-Raising/125896/ (accessed January 11, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vfFf8PQw.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy. $1.1-Billion Donated for Haiti Relief: Updated Tally. http://philanthropy.com/article/11-Billion-Donated-for-Haiti/65479/?sid=... (accessed September 20, 2010). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5ssx7IcOw
- Chronicle of Philanthropy. American Charities Raise $774-Million for Haiti Relief, Chronicle Tally Finds. http://philanthropy.com/article/American-Charities-Raise/64243/?otd=Y2xp... (accessed September 17, 2010). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5t63TTO4P.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy. Haiti Donations Exceed $644-Million. as of February 3. http://philanthropy.com/article/Haiti-Donations-Exceed-644/63887/ (accessed October 3, 2010). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5tD60TduA.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy. How Charities Are Helping Haiti: How Much They Raised and Spent http://philanthropy.com/article/How-Charities-Are-Helping/66243/ (accessed January 10, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vdxP0Nih.
- UMCOR. 1-Year Report. http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/newsroom/releases/archives2010/haitiprogre... (accessed January 5, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vW4W0Nf3.
- UMCOR. 2009 Annual Report (PDF).
- UMCOR. Field Offices. http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/work/fieldoffices/ (accessed January 5, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vW4dJzJs.
- UMCOR. FAQs. http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/work/fieldoffices/faqs/ (accessed January 5, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vW4jRSeZ.
- UMCOR. Haiti earthquake. http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/work/emergencies/ongoing/haitiearthquake/ (accessed January 10, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vdwumKZO.
- UMCOR. Haiti earthquake response 6 month report (PDF).
- UMCOR. Home page. http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/ (accessed January 10, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vdwlewAb.
- UMCOR. Where We Work. http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/work/fieldoffices/work/ (accessed January 5, 2011). Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5vW4gi85O.
- 1. Chronicle of Philanthropy, “Haiti Donations Exceed $644-Million, as of February 3”
- 2. Chronicle of Philanthropy, “American Charities Raise $774-Million for Haiti Relief, Chronicle Tally Finds”
- 3. Chronicle of Philanthropy, “$1.1-Billion Donated for Haiti Relief: Updated Tally (May 11)”
- 4. Chronicle of Philanthropy, “How Charities Are Helping Haiti: How Much They Raised and Spent”
- 5. Chronicle of Philanthropy, "Haiti Earthquake Fund raising, One Year Later."
- 6. Chronicle of Philanthropy, “How Charities Are Helping Haiti: How Much They Raised and Spent”
- 7. Chronicle of Philanthropy, "Haiti Earthquake Fund raising, One Year Later."
- $20,000 to GlobalMedic to help distribute six million packets of PUR water packets donated by Procter & Gamble, along with Aquatabs and water filters... Twelve Yurt-Dome tents valued at $20,896 (including airfreight) and that will provide temporary classroom space for 50 students each are delivered to Port-au-Prince. In spite of repeated efforts by agents of the EMH, the tents are not released from customs until August...
- UMCOR grants EMH $97,646.15 to fund the management and implementation of relief projects and covers the salaries for the church's Relief Coordinator, Financial Manager, Engineer, and Administrative Assistant for one year.
- A four-week cash-for-work program to remove rubble is part of the funding... MCOR commits $51,175 to partner Global Health Action to help Haiti rebuild a stronger and more effective community-based health care system in LéogÃ¢ne District of Haiti.. UMCOR approves a grant of $200,000 to EMH for the reconstruction of two schools in Bois Gency and Hyacinthe, located near Petit-GoÃ¢ve. The schools, which were destroyed during the earthquake, will be reconstructed with earthquake-resistant materials and benefit 418 students.
- UMCOR's funds match $200,000 provided by a Swiss partner, ASAH (Swiss Friends of Haiti), who initiated the project.”
UMCOR, “1-Year Report.”
- "UMCOR strengthens EMH's disaster response infrastructure and builds an interdisciplinary team to work with EMH and other partners to implement a multifaceted approach for long-term development that includes livelihoods, shelter, and water and sanitation, agriculture, education, and microenterprise programs.
- UMCOR works through existing programs like the Haiti Hot Lunch program, a program of EMH, to evaluate and strengthen its existing feeding program. UMCOR provides salary support for the Haiti Hot Lunch Coordinator to evaluate and report on the current status of the Hot Lunch program in EMH schools across Haiti.
- UMCOR commits to reconstruct Nouveau College Bird, the flagship school of the Methodist Church in Haiti at the college's 50th Anniversary celebration.
- On behalf of UMCOR, UNOPS (United Nations Office for Project Services) completes construction of nine school buildings in the Corail resettlement camp in Haiti. The schools provide safe learning environments for 710 children displaced by the earthquake." UMCOR, "1-Year Report."
Example: “Supplied 32,196 households in 12 districts with a total of 408 metric tons of maize meal.” UMCOR, “2009 Annual Report,” Pg 8.