Position: Senior Accountant
Salary: Our salaries are competitive with peer organizations like private foundations, academic institutions/think tanks, and the World Bank, and are benchmarked for the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, where GiveWell is based. We adjust the salaries of remote employees based on the federal geographic location adjustment database.
Location: Oakland, California (preferred). Full-time remote work is possible. Remote staff may be required to visit the office during key busy periods. As a general rule, requests to work remotely will usually be allowed for locations that are within three hours of the Pacific Time Zone. Exceptions to the time zone rule may be made in rare circumstances.
Flexibility: We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, regular work-from-home days, part-time work patterns, and periodic remote-work stints. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another.
Visa: Please note that for this position, we're currently not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the U.S.
Timeline: We're reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
GiveWell is motivated by the simple question: how can we do as much good as possible?
In our efforts to answer this question, we search for and recommend outstanding philanthropic giving opportunities. We currently focus on global health and poverty alleviation programs in the lowest-income parts of the world because that is where we've found we can have the greatest impact, according to our criteria.
Our primary impact is achieved by directing funding to our recommended charities. We rigorously vet and recommend a short list of top charities that meet our criteria of being evidence-backed, cost-effective, transparent, and in need of more funding. Our nine current top charities work on death-averting and life-improving programs.
Based on our recommendations, donors have given more than $800 million to our recommended programs since our founding in 2007. In 2020 alone, GiveWell donors contributed more than $170 million to our recommendations, which we estimate will avert between 29,000 and 48,000 deaths and provide parasitic worm treatments for over 12 million children.
We also direct funding to promising opportunities, such as projects whose impact is less directly measurable but might be even greater than that of our recommended charities.
Our finance team is integral to the success of our mission to direct hundreds of millions of dollars to the best giving opportunities we can find.
About the role
As a member of the Operations team, you will be a critical part of a collaborative team focused on scaling our accounting and grantmaking functions. Finance supports all areas of the organization from day-to-day billing to donations and grantmaking. Our donations doubled in 2020, and we are expanding our current team and operations (currently about 40 people with a $13 million annual operating budget). We need you to help us keep pace with this tremendous growth. This is a great opportunity to make a real difference with your career by joining a high-impact nonprofit that is one of the largest private funders in global public health.
GiveWell’s Operations team includes staff working on finance, donations processing, HR & people operations, legal, facilities, and IT. We are seeking a Senior Accountant who is comfortable working with a staff of diverse backgrounds outside of accounting. You will work closely with our Controller and will be GiveWell’s primary point of contact for monthly books and grant reconciliation. You will perform a range of accounting tasks to support the needs of management in tracking, reporting, supporting, and benchmarking the success of operations at GiveWell and will have direct responsibility for reconciling donations to charities for granting. If you are a stickler for details and want your work to support ambitious goals for maximizing global well-being, this role could be for you!
- General ledger accounting and monthly close: maintain ledgers and reconcile accounts, code and enter invoices into the accounting system, process and pay AP and employee expenses, propose journal entries for accrued expenses, and review and account for HR/payroll activities. Knowledge of nonprofit accounting for grants as well as accounting for leases is essential.
- Review employee expenses and reimbursements for compliance with GiveWell’s expense policy.
- Grants reconciliation: reconcile donations from several payment platforms including bank deposits, securities, and cryptocurrency to a CRM system for the purpose of general ledger uploads and regranting to charities. Investigate variances as needed.
- Work directly with our Controller to produce monthly and quarterly GAAP financials, budget tracking, and consolidations.
- Assist our Controller with annual audit, tax, and compliance including 1099 preparations, quarterly estimates, and the preparation and supporting documents for federal and state tax returns and audit.
- Maintain and enhance vital procedures and internal controls related to revenue and general ledger accounting.
The following characteristics are priorities for this role. We encourage you to apply if you would use the majority of these characteristics to describe yourself:
- You possess 5+ years of financial/accounting experience. A combination of public and nonprofit experience is a plus.
- You are detail-oriented and precise.
- You have attained expert Excel skills including the use of filters, searches, conditional formatting, database manipulation, and pivot tables.
- You are fluent in the use of GAAP and SAAS-based financial guidelines.
- You excel at or are comfortable using accounting systems such as Sage Intacct, Salesforce, Bill.com, and Divvy.
- You have experience supporting financial audits.
- You are knowledgeable about federal, state, and local tax issues and procedures.
Other desirable skills, experience, or characteristics:
- You have worked at a nonprofit or supported nonprofit organizations.
- You acquired (or are on track to acquire) your Certified Public Accountant certification.
- You have proficiency with common integrated applications such as G Suite and Asana.
- You are passionate about helping improve global health and alleviate global poverty as much as possible.
- You value honesty and transparency. GiveWell is committed to sharing openly about our shortcomings and strengths, as well as those of our recommended programs.
- You are excited to work on a growing team. GiveWell’s finance team is small. We expect team members to be flexible and responsive to new opportunities.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. Here’s a secret: there's no such thing as a "perfect" candidate. GiveWell is looking for exceptional people who want to make a positive impact through their work and help create an organization where everyone can thrive. So whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this role would make you excited to come to work every day.
Apply here: https://www.givewell.org/about/jobs/senior-accountant-application. We only accept applications through our website. You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to email@example.com.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to making employment decisions based on merit and value. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. We desire to maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, citizenship, physical or mental disability, marital status, familial status, ethnicity, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, age, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.