Our top charities are evidence-backed, thoroughly vetted, underfunded organizations.
We recommend charities according to how much good additional donations can do. We examine charities' overall quality and cost-effectiveness, as well as what more funding would enable them to do. We regularly publish discussions of our top charities' strengths and weaknesses.
Donations to support GiveWell's recommended charities are tax deductible for donors in a number of countries. Learn more here.
Preventing deaths from malaria in sub-Saharan Africa.
Malaria is one of the leading killers of children in Africa. Insecticide-treated bed nets prevent deaths and many other non-fatal cases of malaria and are relatively inexpensive — about $5 per net. (For more details, see our full report on bed nets.) We believe that AMF effectively expands access to bed nets. Read More
Donors in many countries are able to make tax-deductible donations to AMF. Details here.
Treating people for parasite infections in sub-Saharan Africa.
The Schistosomiasis Control Initiative (SCI) supports programs that treat people for parasitic worm infections that cause short-term symptoms such as anemia, and may cause longer-term developmental problems. These worms are extremely inexpensive to treat. (For more, see our full report on deworming.) We believe that SCI cost-effectively expands access to deworming treatment. Read More
Donors in many countries are able to make tax-deductible donations to SCI. Details here.
Treating children for parasite infections in developing countries.
The Deworm the World Initiative, led by Evidence Action, supports programs that treat children for parasitic worm infections that cause short-term symptoms such as anemia, and may cause longer-term developmental problems. These worms are extremely inexpensive to treat. (For more, see our full report on deworming.) Deworm the World focuses on advocacy and technical assistance to governments providing deworming, and we believe that it cost-effectively increases the number of children receiving deworming treatment. Read More
Donors in many countries are able to make tax-deductible donations to Deworm the World. Details here.
Distributing cash to very poor individuals in Kenya and Uganda.
Directly transferring money to poor individuals allows them to purchase that which they believe will help them most. Strong evidence indicates that cash transfers lead recipients to spend more on their basic needs (such as food) and may allow recipients to make investments with high returns, with no evidence of large increases in spending on items like alcohol or tobacco. (For more, see our full report on cash transfers.) We believe that GiveDirectly effectively distributes cash to extremely low income individuals. Read More
Donors in many countries are able to make tax-deductible donations to GiveDirectly. Details here.
Other Standout Charities
Development Media International (DMI)
Producing mass media to promote improved health behaviors in developing countries. Read More
Iodine Global Network (IGN), formerly ICCIDD
Aiding salt iodization programs in developing countries. Read More
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) - Universal Salt Iodization (USI) program
Aiding salt iodization programs in developing countries. Read More
Supporting a network of community health promoters in Uganda. Read More
Tax-deductibility of donations to our top charities
Donations to GiveWell are tax-deductible in the US, and we are able to take donations for the support of any of our top charities. In addition:
- Charity-specific considerations. Gifts to the Against Malaria Foundation are tax-deductible in several countries, including the US, UK, Canada, Germany, and Australia. Gifts to SCI are tax-deductible in the UK. Gifts to the Iodine Global Network are tax-deductible in Canada.
- UK donors can make a tax-deductible donation to the Giving What We Can Trust for the support of one or more or GiveWell's recommended charities. Only charities listed on the form are currently eligible – more may be added later. Donations by UK tax-payers via the trust are eligible for Gift Aid.
- German and Swiss donors can make a deductible donation to Giordano-Bruno-Stiftung or Effective Altruism Foundation for the support of GiveWell or one or more of our recommended charities.
- Canadian donors can make a tax-deductible donation to Charity Science to support GiveWell or GiveWell's recommended charities. Donors can give online through PayPal (2-3% processing fee) at Charity Science's website, or, for donations greater than $1,000, can contact Charity Science at email@example.com for more information about giving by check or bank transfer (low or no fees). Note that there is an aggregate limit to how much Charity Science can give to charities that are not registered in Canada, so donors considering giving a gift of $5,000 or more for GiveWell, GiveDirectly, Deworm the World Initiative, GAIN, DMI, or Living Goods should contact Charity Science or GiveWell before donating.
- Australian donors can make a tax-deductible donation to Effective Altruism Australia and earmark the donation for one of several GiveWell recommended charities. (Australian donors wishing to give to the Against Malaria Foundation can make a tax-deductible donation directly to that organization – see above.)
Donate to GiveWell
You can donate online by using the button below:
You may give an unrestricted donation to GiveWell, which we may choose to either use for operating expenses or to regrant to top charities, or you may choose to give funds that we will only regrant to top charities.
*If you have any trouble using the form linked above, we can also accept credit and debit card donations through Paypal.
Donate By Mail
You can donate to GiveWell (a.k.a. The Clear Fund) by sending a check made out to GiveWell to:
You may give an unrestricted donation to GiveWell, which we may choose to either use for operating expenses or to regrant to top charities, or you may choose to give funds that we will only regrant to top charities. If you would like us to regrant your donation, please specify this on the check donation form (Microsoft Word version here).
Donating to support GiveWell's recommended charities as a gift for a friend or family member? Download, fill in, and print our gift acknowledgement letters.
Donate to GiveWell's Operations
Using the button below, you can make a donation to support GiveWell's operations:
Discuss these charities with GiveWell staff
If you'd like to discuss our research and top charities with a GiveWell staff member, you can request a call here.