Past research discussions
We put a lot of effort into making our research process and reasoning transparent. GiveWell holds conference calls and research meetings where we discuss our charity recommendations and answer questions.
2012 research and recommendations
- January 10, 2013: Conference call with some of GiveWell's close supporters to discuss our recommendation of GiveDirectly.
- December 6, 2012: Conference call to discuss our new recommendations and other aspects of our research.
- December 3, 2012: In-person event in San Francisco to discuss our new recommendations and other aspects of our research.
- November 26, 2012: In-person event at our New York office to discuss our new recommendations and other aspects of our research.
- November 20, 2012: Conference call with some of GiveWell's close supporters to discuss our planned recommendations and solicit feedback.
- May 9, 2012: Research event giving an update on our recommended charities and GiveWell Labs.
- March 8, 2012: Question and answer session on annual review and plan.
2011 research and recommendations
- December 8, 2011: Conference call discussing GiveWell's updated charity recommendations for December 2011: Audio (MP3) and Transcript (PDF)
- November 21, 2011: Pre-publication call discussing forthcoming research: Transcript (DOC)
- August 18, 2011: Mid-process meeting to discuss ongoing research: Transcript (DOC)
Progress and plans discussions with GiveWell's Board of Directors
We hold periodic calls with members of our Board of Directors to update them on our progress and plans and to get their feedback. These calls are more informal than our official board meetings.
Calls are monitored for (a) comments that are both easily misinterpreted and insignificant; (b) compromise agreements of confidentiality that GiveWell has made to obtain information that does not belong to it. These comments are then removed.
On October 15, 2012, we held a call to discuss GiveWell's partnership with Good Ventures, donor outreach, recent research, staff recruiting, and other topics.