Position: Research Analyst
Seniority: Entry-level or higher
Location: San Francisco, CA
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
Research Analysts are GiveWell's primary staff and work on all parts of our research process (including the Open Philanthropy Project). Research Analysts' responsibilities mostly consist of:
- Researching charitable interventions, including analyzing academic research and developing cost-effectiveness estimates
- Evaluating charities, including assessing internal monitoring & evaluation and representing GiveWell in discussions with charity staff
- Reviewing research produced by other staff members for accuracy and clarity
- Miscellaneous duties depending on individual preferences and abilities, including communicating with donors and media, writing, and original analysis on research questions
Qualifications and characteristics
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in economics, mathematics, statistics or other quantitative field or equivalent experience. Exceptions may be made for outstanding applicants who do not meet this criterion.
- Passionate about finding great giving opportunities and making the world a better place
- Value intense discussion and debate
- Strong critical thinking skills; able to approach all claims (including their managers') with skepticism
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Comfortable with open-ended questions, where no clear precedents or guidelines exist
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- This will be a full-time position in San Francisco, where GiveWell is based. This is an office-based job that can partly be done remotely.
- We first ask candidates to work for us (with compensation) on a trial basis before we make a full-time offer. In general, this period will last around three months, though we are flexible regarding the terms (e.g., spreading the equivalent number of hours over a longer period of time, telecommuting). There may be exceptional cases where we are willing to forgo the trial period.
- We will consider sponsoring applications for work authorization for exceptional candidates.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2014, GiveWell tracked $27.8 million in donations to its recommended charities as a direct result of its research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), the Hewlett Foundation (a current funder of GiveWell) and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have thirty-two full-time employees and are currently located in the San Francisco Bay Area.