Position: Research Analyst
Location: San Francisco, CA
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
Research Analysts are GiveWell's primary staff and work on all parts of our research process. Research Analyst duties mostly consist of:
- Summarizing conversations GiveWell staff conduct with external parties (e.g., charities, funders, subject-matter experts)
- Reviewing research produced by other staff members for accuracy and clarity
- Taking part in discussions of which giving opportunities are most promising and of general GiveWell strategy
- Miscellaneous duties depending on individual preferences, including networking, outreach, writing, and original analysis on research questions
There are no required qualifications for candidates, but this role will best fit people who:
- Are passionate about finding great giving opportunities and making the world a better place
- Value intense discussion and debate
- Have strong critical thinking skills, and approach all claims (including their managers') with skepticism
- Are comfortable with open-ended questions, where no clear precedents or guidelines exist
- Are open to learning a variety of new skills, from quantitative analysis to public speaking
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a startup over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation
Please send a resume and answers to the questions below to email@example.com. Please confine your answers to a few sentences each.
- Why do you want to work at GiveWell?
- What other jobs/types of jobs are you considering?
- How did you learn about this job opportunity?
You may also send additional material to support your application; this is not required.
We plan to respond to all submissions.
- We first ask candidates to work for us (with compensation) on a trial basis before we make a full-time offer. In general, this period will last the equivalent of a month or two, though we are flexible regarding the terms (e.g., spreading the equivalent number of hours over a longer period of time, telecommuting). There may be exceptional cases where we are willing to forgo the trial period.
- U.S. work permission is required.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2013, GiveWell tracked over $17.3 million in donations to its top charities as a direct result of its research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), the Hewlett Foundation (a current funder of GiveWell) and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have twelve full-time employees and are currently located in the San Francisco Bay Area.