Position: Operations Associate
Seniority: Entry-level or higher
Salary: $55,000 for entry-level, variable with experience
Location: San Francisco, CA
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
We seek Operations Associates to perform a variety of tasks in support of GiveWell's organizational needs. The operations team has a broad set of responsibilities, which include:
- Finance and budget: maintaining an up-to-date, accurate assessment of our financial health and maintaining processes for fiscal security.
- Human resources: onboarding new staff, answering ongoing questions from staff, and soliciting feedback about the organization as a whole.
- Donations processing: making sure that donations are received, data is entered accurately and donations are deposited in a timely manner.
- Office management: ensuring that daily office management activities run smoothly, and overseeing office logistics such as supplies, information technology, and working with outside vendors.
- Writing: proofreading content before publication, and writing summaries of GiveWell’s conversations with experts in various fields (detailed description).
Operations Associates may take on various roles within these responsibilities, depending on our needs and the person's skills and interests.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong writing skills
- Passion for the work GiveWell does
- Interest in/ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- This will be a full-time position in San Francisco, where GiveWell is based. This is an office-based job that can partly be done remotely.
- We first ask candidates to work for us (with compensation) on a trial basis before we make a full-time offer. In general, this period will last around three months, though we are flexible regarding the terms (e.g., spreading the equivalent number of hours over a longer period of time, telecommuting). There may be exceptional cases where we are willing to forgo the trial period.
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to email@example.com.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2015, GiveWell tracked $110 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), the Hewlett Foundation (a current funder of GiveWell) and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have eighteen full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.