Position: Operations and Legal Program Manager
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Depends on experience
Timeline: There is no firm deadline for applying.
We are looking for an Operations and Legal Program Manager with experience leading complex, multi-disciplinary projects and assisting with legal matters. This person will report to the Director of Operations and contribute to the smooth running of the organization by recommending and implementing improvements and managing projects in many domains for which the operations team is responsible, including:
- Governance, risk management, and compliance
- Human resources
- Donations processing, donor communications, and grant-making
- Assist with compliance reviews and make recommendations on a broad range of legal issues, including U.S. and international grant-making, issues related to donations processing and donor communications, and a variety of third-party agreements.
- Support in-house counsel and oversee legal vendors. Recommend and implement procedures for handling legal work and compliance issues.
- Collaborate with legal counsel, management, and the Board of Directors to implement changes to governance practices.
- Manage GiveWell's outsourced human resources firm. Oversee human resources projects, including benefits, employee and contractor onboarding, and compensation; establish systems and procedures customized to GiveWell's needs.
- Potentially manage project to review and implement improvements to data security procedures; manage outsourced IT.
- In cooperation with the Director of Operations, set and refine operations team strategy. Plan Operations team meetings and events.
- Assist with planning for meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Additional responsibilities may include managing other operations staff.
Qualifications and characteristics
- Bachelor's degree
- Operations, legal, program management, and/or project management experience.
- We will consider candidates with relevant practical experience in business management, law (including attorneys and paralegals), project management, and other related fields for this position.
- Experience overseeing consultants and/or other management experience desired.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable with open-ended questions, where no clear precedents or guidelines exist.
- Value the intensity and open-endedness of a small organization over the stability and comfort of a larger corporation.
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- We prefer candidates who will be based at our office in San Francisco, but we are open to someone who works remotely.
- Relocation assistance may be available.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2015, GiveWell tracked $110 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), the Hewlett Foundation (a current funder of GiveWell) and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have eighteen full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.