Jobs at GiveWell
We're hiring a Grants Coordinator to steward grants from the time our research team makes a funding recommendation through the post-grant follow up.
We're hiring researchers at varying levels of seniority. The application process is the same in all cases.
- Senior Research Associates typically have a quantitatively oriented degree, often an advanced degree, and/or several years of relevant experience (~6 years).
- Senior Researchers typically have a quantitatively oriented advanced degree and/or substantive relevant experience (~10 years).
We're hiring an Operations Assistant to support other operations staff, with specific duties based on personal skills, experience, and organizational needs.
We're hiring Content Editors to support our research team.
Note: The benefits described on this page are current as of May 2022 and will be updated as needed.
GiveWell is committed to supporting each person's physical and mental well-being and professional growth. We invest in that commitment by offering the following benefits:
- Healthcare. We provide fully funded health and vision insurance and a dental stipend for staff and their families.
- Insurance. We provide life and short- and long-term disability insurance for staff.
- Flexible and remote options. We support and encourage flexible working for most roles, including flexible hours, working remotely, and working from the office when you choose. The majority of staff work flexibly one way or another. We happily employ staff remotely and generally request that employees work within three hours of the Pacific Time Zone.
- Paid time off. We offer 20 days per year of paid time off, in addition to 11 paid holidays and 10 days of paid sick leave. We also provide bereavement leave, time off for unforeseen hardships, and optional unpaid leave. We are always happy to discuss options with staff if more flexibility is required in a given situation.
- Parental leave. For new parents of all types, we offer 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Optional 403(b) plan. GiveWell hosts a 403(b) plan for staff retirement savings. After considering the most equitable way to provide a flexible retirement benefit to all staff, we decided to increase staff salaries rather than providing a matching employer contribution. The salaries we offer already include this increase.
- Professional development. We offer an annual allowance for staff to spend on coaching, courses, workshops, conferences, and other engagements to support professional development goals. We also have a 10% flex time policy: staff are welcome to spend up to 10% of their work hours on projects indirectly related to their work, such as taking courses, reading books about global health and development, etc.
- Wellness stipend. To support staff in their physical and mental health, we offer an annual stipend for expenses such as gym memberships, therapy, meditation retreats, exercise equipment, etc.
- Office equipment and work space. We want all staff to be able to work at maximum effectiveness regardless of where their primary workspace is and to have a workspace that supports their physical well-being. We provide staff with options for ergonomic equipment and work stations and will work with you on setting up an efficient workspace. For remote staff who are interested, we will cover memberships at co-working spaces.
- Office visits for remote staff. To promote social cohesion in an organization with a lot of remote staff, we schedule regular optional visit weeks and cover the cost of travel and lodging for visiting staff. These are just now re-starting after the disruptions of the pandemic, but we hope to regain a routine cadence throughout 2022 and beyond.
If you believe you can help us, but don't fit one of the roles listed here, note that we are open to considering applications from exceptional candidates. If you feel that you have outstanding qualifications, please email email@example.com with a resume, cover letter, and demonstration of what you would contribute to our work.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, we encourage you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to making employment decisions based on merit and value. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. We desire to maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, citizenship, physical or mental disability, marital status, familial status, ethnicity, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, age, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please note that GiveWell has experienced several cases of others pretending to represent GiveWell and offering employment. For more information, please see this page.