More recent version available
This is an older version of this page. There is a more recent version of this page available here.
- Is there evidence that a charity's programs are effective? (Why do we look for proven programs?)
- Are a charity's programs cost-effective? (How do we use "cost-effectiveness" figures?)
- Can the charity productively use additional funds? (Why is scalability important?)
- Is the above information shared transparently?
|Charity name||Region||Focus||Evidence of effectiveness||Cost-effectiveness||Funding gap||Transparency||Monitoring and evaluation||GiveWell rating||Overall rank|
|Stop TB Partnership||International||Tuberculosis||Strong||Excellent||Significant||Strong||Excellent||Three stars||2|
|Nurse-Family Partnership||U.S.||Childcare||Strong||Limited||Probable||Above average||Excellent||Three stars||3|
|KIPP||U.S.||Education||Above average||Limited||Probable||Above average||Strong||Three stars||4|
|Against Malaria Foundation||International||Malaria||Moderate||Excellent||Significant||Excellent||Strong||Two stars||5|
|Population Services International||International||HIV/AIDS; malaria||Moderate||Excellent||Probable||Excellent||Strong||Two stars||6|
|Partners in Health||International||Health clinics||Moderate||Moderate||Probable||Above average||Above average||Two stars||7|
|The Global Fund||International||HIV/AIDS; malaria; TB||Limited||Moderate||Probable||Excellent||Strong||Two stars||8|
|Teach for America||U.S.||Education||Above average||Limited||Unknown||Above average||Strong||Two stars||9|
|Pratham||India||Education||Above average||Limited||Unknown||Moderate||Strong||One star||10|
Interpreting our ratings
- Three stars - Strong on all of our criteria, and you can feel confident that your donation will cost-effectively change lives.
- Two stars - Stands above the vast majority of charities on our criteria, though there is substantial room for concern on at least one of the criteria.
- One star - Does not necessarily rate well on all our criteria, but there is at least one prominent and unusual factor in its favor compared to other charities: unusual transparency, unusual commitment to self-evaluation, superiority (on our criteria) to others with similar programs, and/or at least one substantial and impressive success in its past.
- 0 stars - Does not show signs of meeting any of our criteria.
What do you get for your dollar? An overview
|International aid||VillageReach, Stop Tuberculosis Partnership||$200-$1,000 per life saved||Improve health, save lives|
|Poverty (international)||None||-||Unclear, if any|
|U.S. Poverty||Nurse-Family Partnership||$10,000 per child served||Increase academic performance and reduce criminal behavior|
|U.S. Education||Knowledge is Power Program||$20,000 per student (including state education funds)||Improve academic performance|
|Job Training (U.S.)||None||$10,000 per client served||Unclear, if any|