Location: Conversation Notes Writers will set their own locations for work. International applicants are welcome to apply.
Hours: The hours for this job are flexible and the position will be paid on an hourly basis. We expect a minimum of 25 hours per week.
Timeline: There is no deadline for applying. Please note that, recently, we have hired only 5% of applicants as Conversation Notes Writers.
We seek a Conversation Notes Writer to write summaries of GiveWell’s conversations with experts in various fields. Conversation notes are an essential part of GiveWell’s research process; for more on why, see our 2012 blog post on this topic. Examples of completed conversation notes include:
- A conversation with Michael Osterholm about pandemics
- A conversation with Richard Sullivan about surgery in low- and middle-income countries
- A conversation with the Hewlett Foundation about international family planning
See more examples at http://www.givewell.org/conversations. (Note: conversation notes from July 2013 or later best represent GiveWell’s current standard for conversation notes.)
- Strong writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Passion for the work GiveWell does
- Complete a set of conversation notes for the conversation between Holden Karnofsky and Jessica Gottlieb (audio linked from this page). Follow the detailed instructions for writing these notes.
- Send the completed set of conversation notes and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GiveWell started as a group of finance professionals trying to do as much good as possible with their personal donations. Since 2007, it has been a full-time independent research group. We publish our charity recommendations, research, and the full details of our analysis publicly at www.givewell.org.
In 2015, GiveWell tracked $110 million in donations to our recommended charities as a direct result of our research. Our research has received accolades from Peter Singer (who featured it in his manifesto on giving, The Life You Can Save), Nicholas Kristof (who featured it in Half The Sky), the Hewlett Foundation (a current funder of GiveWell) and media including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CNN and NPR (see our press page for more).
We have eighteen full-time employees and are located in San Francisco.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.